07 February 2009

Steampunk Bike project: concept


Okay, So i've decided what I'm doing with my two bikes. First, I have a motorized 10 speed using a motor from Kings motor bikes. Despite tweaking a lot we keep having back axle problems with it. The mechanics tell me that it's a function of the 10 speed rear hub and how the wheel connects to the axle (one one side, and the middle).

So, they tell me that a single speed bike, like a cruiser is the answer. Single speed bikes have a wheel that connect to the axle on either side, as close to the supports as possible (none of this middle stuff). The bike above was gifted to me for burning man a couple of years ago. But, because I was planning on returning each year to the Burn, I didn't want to really go crazy with my playa bike. Well, now that the fuss with LAFC is over and I'm not going this year, I think I'll make this bike my spring project.

First, it needs to be de-palyafied, and taken apart down to the frame. Then, I'm going to re-paint everything from the ground up with a metallic brass paint. Also, I learned that black rubber tires didn't pop up until the early 1900s. Previous to that, all rubber was white. They found that adding carbon black to the rubber gave it better grip which was necessary to make early cars work properly. So, I'm thinking about all white tires, or at least very wide white-walled knobbies.


Next, I want to replace the fenders and chain guard with wood covers. It's not all that authentic, but these absolutely scream "steampunk". I spotted these in my local bike shop and they may be the inspiration for this project. But when I found the mother-load at Woody's, I knew this was gonna look amazing.

Then, transfer the motor over to the new cruiser and add an olde thyme bike seat made of all leather with a gooseneck spring. I want to see if I can get one of the old carbide miner's lights for the front (updated to california night riding standards). I think the hard part will be getting leather grips and reducing the plastic content of the other fittings.


The final addition will be a "snoopy" airplane leather helmet and a pair of these brass RAF goggles and maybe a silk scarf. Add a bomber jacket and maybe those explorer pants with the flaps at the thighs and the look will be complete. Heheheeee...

Keep checking back for updates on this project.

No comments: