14 February 2009

Steampunk bike project: the beginning.

Okay, so upon checking with Kings, All of the bikes they sell, turn-key, are cruisers with coaster brakes. So the project has been accelerated a little. I don't have to save up the money for disk brakes, but I am going to make sure the coasters are in tip-top shape. I asked my bike guy while I was there and he suggested that I strip and paint first then worry about getting the brakes solid. So, Currently the cruiser is in pieces on the floor.

While researching accessories, I came across the very first motorcycle, the "Reitwagen" ("riding car") - built by Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach. You can see it in the picture there. It's a lovely thing and Oh So steampunk. But I'm sure it's a little out of my price range. ;) There was a steam version made in the early 1800s, but much less is known about it. Anyway, since the Reitwagen was built and retired in 1885, there's not only a precedent for my vehicle, but I'm free to go any direction I like as the next one didn't come around until Harley Davidson in 1903.

Fortunately there are no "period police" in steampunk, so screw 'em anyway. Still I like the name Reitwagen (right wagon), and that's what I'm going with for now. It's about the romance, not about historical accuracy. Plus the steam machine (another good name) didn't have a catchy name like Reitwagen.

Okay, so i got in the can of brass paint. I'm very happy with the initial results. So I'm getting primer and a clearcoat. Get this, the clearcoat is reflective: it turns the whole bike into a reflector (like street signs). Which means I can do away with all the standard reflectors to gain visibility. heheeeee

I've put in a bid on eBay for a genuine, 1890s miner's lantern, the kind frequently used on bikes. You know that's so because in addition to the front reflector, there's also two gems on either side for port and starboard running lights. Totally geting geeked about this. Next I have to find a rear light.


I found the kind of kickstand I want. This one flips up to the rear of the machine and forms a tripod with the front wheel. It works better on heavier bikes because the frame is kept upright and not leaning over on a spike. The bike that currently hosts the engine could so use something like this.

Oh, and as for the fenders, I think I want to try making my own. The ones available for purchase are gonna need a little tweaking anyway to get rid of the chrome. Plus, in the same week, I saw a show on PBS on making curved wood pieces, and found a website where someone else had made his own. So, I figure "screw it, I'll give it a whack." Not like I haven't worked with wood before.

My bike shop, Orange 20 bikes, tells me that I have options on white tires. So we're a go on that end. But that can also wait. I'm sure they can help me with other projects like wood pedals, brass chain, leather grips, and a big "Ah OOOH ga" horn.

No comments: