14 December 2007

Xmas List

So, despite shaking off the last remnants of Catholicism, I still feel something for Xmas. And as I look at my calendar, I notice that it's a national holiday. Yes, that's right, it's a Secular, non-religious, government approved holiday. And if you look at the history of christmas, you'll see that it pretty much is an american concoction.

The term "Christ- mass" was applied to the Saturnalia/Yule/Solstice celebrations, despite the overwhelming biblical evidence indicating that it wasn't the time of year that Jesus was supposedly born. Clearly this time of year was borrowed. Also, the various christian churches have disavowed the holiday several times. But don't take my word, look it up...

*sigh* So, this makes Xmas essentially a Hallmark Holiday. It may have started as a way to ethically find a way to spoil the kids a little, during creatively oppressive times. But now, marketing has taken it to a very dark place.

So, I'm gonna take things in a [hopefully] new direction. Here's my Xmas list this year.
#1 Give a bum a dollar.
#2 Give a bum more than a dollar and send me a card saying so.
#3 Give your car a thorough tune-up and make sure the tires are filled.
#4 Start a carpool at work.
#5 Spend a day hugging everyone you see
#6 Toss someone a mercy fvck.
#7 Spend a day working to make the world a better place.
#8 Find someone you'd normally ignore and have an extended conversation with them.

Call or email me the results.
Thanks.

No comments: