13 February 2006

Ahhh Wescom....

Okay, I've been having a lot of ...issues... with my old Credit Union, Kinecta. Finally I got off my duff and switched everything over to Wescom. Already I'm seeing a difference. Kinecta had this weird issue where it would charge me a bounce fee on incomming items that were more than available balance.

This one was hard for me, so, let's try it. You have $100 in your Kinecta account. You charge (not ATM) $60 in stuff, which immediately reduces your "available" balance, but not your actual funds. For the funds to get withdrawn takes upwards of two days. Okay. Now, another automatic charge (like cable bill or something) for $50. Since it's automatic and you have the actual funds, it doesn't bounce, but since your available funds are only $40, you get charged a bounce fee of another $25 which takes your available balance down to -$15 and your actual balance down to $25. Even if you replace the $50 the same day, you're still out the bounce fee, however, there's often a hold on deposited funds which means the original amount bounces too.

It was like the frickin BOA of Credit unions. Now that I've switched over to Wescome, they handle available balances the way their supposed to: if your avialable balance is too low, no user entered items will go through, however, so long as the Actual balance is sufficient, anything that hits your account goes through, regardless if funds are "reserved' for it. I'm gonna save buttloads of bounce fees with this switch.

No comments: