07 December 2008

DJ Grumpy Bear


I learned a lot tonight.

1) you CAN pull together a choreographed piece in two days.
2) NEVER listen to a promoter who says he "just wants xmas music"
3) NEVER listen to 'the drunk girl' when she says a music change is in order.
4) never let her friend select the music.
5) never trust strangers with your sound system.
6) A second change in music type is NOT the answer.
7) Never judge a celebrity by the cover.
8) even female body builders/ wrestlers can be effeminate, fragile, or out of their element. (Yeah, I met Chyna tonight)
9) it's never THAT bad, even when half the floor clears (from the drunk chick's music)

So, for my first, paid DJ gig, it could have been worse. I should have stuck to my guns and told the drunk chick to piss off, but after being told to switch from xmas music to "anything" else, I was caught off guard. Psytrance was keeping the party going and was neutral enough to allow people to chat and carouse. Once I got rid of "that retro shit" and played Gloria Estefan, it completely killed my vibe. Plus, after a song or two the drunk chick was back bugging me to play "something danceable". I think it would have been a much better party if I had pushed her in the pool.

No comments: