19 June 2008

I'm sold

So, after much debate and thought, I think I'm finally sold on a sustainable technology: Hydrogen.

After seeing the various types of hydrogen vehicles, I'm impressed. There's one that is just a modification of a standard Internal Combustion, petrol burner. Plus, there's a new "solid H" way of storing hydrogen without pressure, that can even be used as crash resistant padding. These solid cells could be charged up anywhere (like Kramer Junction) and transported anywhere where a H genny happens to be. But there's more. Through small electrolysis combined with solid-H tech, small, home solar units could be used for long-term fuel creation and storage. No more battery waste or short lifespan issues. ANY electric source can be used for electrolysis (byproduct: breathable oxygen), with the electricity stored onsite in the form of Hydrogen, nearly permanently, and now, safely with the solid H tech.

On the flip side of the coin, I have an enemy, too.

First and foremost pollution problem seems to be [drumroll please]
Single serving plastic containers. Not just bottled water, but plastic iced coffee, shakes, drink boxes, cigarette wrappers, bottles, disposable lighters, jars, toilet paper wrappers, tissue box seams, magazine wrappers, and so much more. My favorite quote on the subject is:
"We've created a substance that will last almost forever and instead of using it for things we want to last, we use it in things we throw away after a single use."
This goes WAY beyond the "paper or plastic" issue, but digs into nearly everything you do. All of this stuff is ending up in landfills and in the oceans. They block light, kill animals, dampen sound, etc.

I've kicked the daily petroleum habit. Though I go through shoes faster because of it. My office is nearly paperless and both businesses produce less waste than my home. My home produces about 1/3rd the average american home, and I'm working ion taking that down to 1/4. SS plastic is next. No more plastic cups for shakes. No more disposable lighters, canvas shopping bags (already there), etc.

No comments: